How does NDIS planning work?
In the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), planning is all about you – your daily needs and lifelong goals – and the support you need to make it happen.
An NDIS plan outlines a person’s needs and goals, and the disability related services and support that will be funded to achieve those goals.
Goals are matched to support categories and each category included in the plan will have a budget to purchase supports.
What should I plan for?
When it’s your turn to plan for transition to the NDIS, you should think about what is important to you. You could start by thinking about:
- what supports you currently access and whether these meet your needs
- what you want to learn
- where you want to live
- what sort of work or community activity you want to do, and
- whether you have enough support to do these things.
Yooralla has developed a guide that can help you to prepare and plan for the NDIS that takes you through some of these questions and helps to identify the supports, services and activities that are important to you.
- NDIS - A guide to preparation and planning with the NDIA (PDF, 1.57mb)
- NDIS - A guide to preparation and planning with the NDIA (Word, 8.07mb)
What services and supports can people access under the NDIS?
The NDIS funds support under three categories:
- Capital funding: for purchasing one off items such as equipment, technology or modifications.
- Core funding: for day to day support required, such as personal care.
- Capacity funding: for skill building, training and learning.
Supports must be considered to be ‘reasonable and necessary’ to be funded.
Download: NDIS - A guide to preparation and planning with the NDIS (PDF, 581kb) 595kb NDIS-A-guide-to-preparation-and-planning-with-the-NDIS-PDF,-581kb.pdf
Download: NDIS - A guide to preparation and planning with the NDIS (Word, 110kb) 113kb NDIS-A-guide-to-preparation-and-planning-with-the-NDIS-Word,-110kb.docx
You can ask for an Easy English guide to preparation and planning under the NDIS.
Click on Easy English Summary.
For NDIS enquiries or to purchase services using NDIS funding, please contact us:
Phone: 1800 966 725
To find out more about an information session or workshop, please contact our Community Engagement team:
Mobile: 0477 399 339
Phone: 03 9666 4584