Electronic Communication Devices Scheme
The Victorian Aids and Equipment Program’s Electronic Communication Devices Scheme is a state-wide service which supports people with disability, who have no speech or speech that is difficult to understand, buy speech generating devices and software.
The Scheme can also support the purchase of specialised equipment to make it physically easier to use speech-generating devices.
- A dedicated speech generating device (SGD) / electronic communication device (ECD) i.e. a piece of equipment which only provides a voice
- Unlocked devices which provide a voice but can also allow other features e.g. computer functions
- Speech generating software including apps
- Voice amplifiers which increase speech volume
- Mainstream equipment items such as computers and mobile devices e.g. iPads are not funded.
Under advice from an Occupational Therapist, the scheme can also provide:
- Mounting systems to hold the device in position
- Special switches for people who cannot touch the device
- A special type of mouse to assist with use of the device e.g. equipment which lets the person use their eyes or head movement to use a device
Support is also provided to ensure users can use their equipment effectively. This includes:
- Up to two hours of training on the equipment for the person’s local therapist
- Help with simple problems
- Simple repairs to the equipment
- A twelve month follow up check to make sure everything is going well
Who can apply?
You need to:
- be a resident of Victoria or hold a permanent protection visa or asylum seeker
have a permanent or long term disability which leads to speech and or language difficulty
- have a Speech Pathologist decide that you need a speech generating device
A person cannot apply if:
they already get help or can get help from another government funded aids and equipment program; Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA), Transport Accident Commission (TAC), Workcover
they can claim the cost through a private health insurance policy
they have had a legal settlement to cover such equipment
How to apply
Your speech pathologist or occupational therapist will coordinate the process of applying for what you need. Find out more about how to apply for a communication device, mounting system, software or switch.