Positive Behaviour Support
Supporting high and complex needs with positive and proactive engagement.
Yooralla specialises in providing support to children and adults with disability who present with behaviours of concern.
By taking a human rights focus and building on an evidence-based approach, Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) focuses on increasing a person’s quality of life and decreasing the frequency and severity of their behaviours of concern.
PBS is both positive and proactive.
Positive means increasing and strengthening helpful behaviours through learning and reinforcement - not using punishment or negative consequences to respond to someone.
Proactive means anticipating where things may go wrong and preventing those things from happening, rather than just reacting when things go wrong.
Our points of difference
- Yooralla are the disability specialists. We provide high quality, evidence based supports for people with high and complex needs.
- Our qualified multidisciplinary team uses a biopsychosocial framework to provide holistic and meaningful supports and training to people with disability and their support networks.
- We have specialty skills in Autism Spectrum Disorder, Dual Diagnosis, Functional Communication, Sensory Processing and Acquired Brain Injury.
- We have a demonstrated record in the reduction of restrictive interventions at both individual and organisational levels with behaviour support plans evaluated as being high in quality by the Behaviour Support Plan Quality Evaluation tool (BSP_QEII).
- Our services stretch across both lifespan and settings to ensure people receives the services they need at the time and place they need them.
How we can help
Yooralla can work with the person presenting behaviours of concern and their support network to:
- develop strategies that build on the person’s strengths and are based on developing positive relationships, communication and coping skills, and on addressing health, environmental and other impacting factors, and
- determine the reasons for a behaviour of concern and provide targeted strategies on how to support the person to decrease their reliance on that behaviour to have their needs met.
Download: Positive Behaviour Support factsheet (PDF, 998kb) 1027kb Positive-Behaviour-Support-2pp_web.pdf
Download: Positive Behaviour Support factsheet (Word, 378kb) 388kb Positive-Behaviour-Support_Accessible-word.docx
For more information on how Yooralla can assist you with Positive Behaviour Support, please contact us.
Phone: 03 9666 4500