Continence support under the NDIS
Posted on 17 August 2016 by
If you require support for managing your incontinence due to your disability, you should make sure you discuss your needs with your NDIS planner or Local Area Coordinator when you transition to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
Currently many people access support from the Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS), which provides funding for people with permanent and severe incontinence to pay for some of the cost of their continence products.
If you or your family member is eligible for the NDIS, the support previously received by CAPS funding will now be supplied through your NDIS plan.
Here are some tips from the Continence Foundation of Australia on how to prepare for planning for your continence needs under the NDIS.
Planning for your continence needs
Planning is essential for getting the best from your funding. Preparing for a planning meeting is vital, because “if it’s not part of the goal, it’s not part of the plan”.
If you are happy with your current arrangements, you don’t need to change. However, this is an opportunity to review your current services.
When it comes time to plan with the NDIS, it’s a good idea to consider:
- what products you use now, and if these products are still effective
- if your needs have changed, and whether it’s time for a new continence assessment, and
- if your incontinence is affecting your goals and the rest of your life, and ideas about what can be done to improve the situation
Understanding your continence needs
If you’re not sure what your requirements are, you can seek help from a health professional like a continence nurse advisor, pelvic floor physiotherapist or your GP. The National Continence Helpline can also provide information about local clinics and the variety of products, services and aids available.
National Continence Helpline
Phone: 1800 33 00 66
Purchasing continence products with your NDIS funding
When planning with the NDIS, you should think ahead about:
- the frequency you would like to receive your supplies
- how you can store your products, and
- including the cost of delivery charges in your plan.
For more information about the NDIS, visit the NDIS website.
For information about continence support under the NDIS visit the Continence Foundation of Australia website.
Learn more about the NDIS
- What is the NDIS?
- When is the NDIS coming to my area?
- What support can I get?
- Frequently asked questions
- NDIS resources
- Stories from people in the NDIS
Learn more about Yooralla.
- 2015 ( 17 )
- 2016 ( 13 )
- 2017 ( 5 )
2018 ( 1 )
- May ( 1 )
2020 ( 8 )
- February ( 8 )