Feedback and complaints under the NDIS

Posted on 03 August 2016 by

The introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), and the potential to engage a range of disability services as well as general community-based organisations and services, means that how you provide feedback or make complaints can vary.

Here are some details of who you can contact to make a complaint if you are not happy with a service you have received, including how you can take your complaint further if you are not happy with the initial result.

Remember - it is your right to speak up to about any concerns you have regarding the service you receive, and these processes and organisations exist to help you achieve a positive outcome.

Who do I speak to if my complaint is about the NDIA?

When you are preparing to transition to National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funding, you will work directly with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to write your funding plan. If you are not happy with the service or support received by the NDIA, or with your plan or planner, you should firstly follow the NDIA’s complaints process.

The NDIA complaints procedure states that you will be called about your complaint within two business days and that it aims to resolve all complaints within 21 days. If you are still unhappy with the outcome of the complaints process, you can follow it up the Commonwealth Ombudsman, or the Disability Services Commissioner.

Who do I speak to if my complaint is about a decision made by the NDIS?

If you are not happy with a decision made by the NDIS, you should firstly appeal via the NDIS directly through their internal reviews process.

After following this process, if you are still unsatisfied with the outcome you can then contact the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

Learn more about the process of making a complaint on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website.

Who do I speak to if my complaint is about the service I am receiving?

If you are unsatisfied with the support you have been receiving from your disability or mental health service provider or any other service you have been funded for, the first step is to follow the provider’s feedback and complaints processes, which will differ among organisations.

If you believe the issue has still not been resolved, you can take your complaint to the Disability Services Commissioner for disability services complaints or the Mental Health Complaints Commissioner for mental health services complaints. If you are dissatisfied with other services you may receive funding for, like gardening or cleaning, your complaint should be made directly to Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Learn more about the NDIS

Learn more about Yooralla.

Stay informed on the NDIS!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe now