Yooralla’s Communication and Assistive Technology (ComTEC) supports children and adults with disability, their families and community therapists to access information about communication and assistive technology.
ComTEC provides information and advice on a range of suitable assistive technology options for achieving your goals in daily life, work, communicating, learning and recreation.
Yooralla's ComTEC can provide you, your family and your primary therapist with practical advice on communication and assistive technology options and strategies.
How we can help
We can support you, or the person you care for, to use the latest technology to communicate, enjoy life and further empower you to live the life you choose. Assistive technologies can include specialised devices and mainstream tablets, smart phones, and apps for communication, education and work.
Our specialised team can help you:
- get your message across
- stay engaged in work, play and learning
- connect with friends and family, and
- control your technology and home environment
We provide the following services:
- Advisory sessions: individual consultations to work with you, your family and primary therapist to explore assistive technology options to meet your goals and needs.
ComTEC specialises in:
- High Tech AAC e.g. Speech Generating Devices, communication apps on tablets to provide a backup or alternative when it is difficult to get your message across using speech;
- Technology and support for device access. e.g.Alternative keyboard and mouse options, specialized software to assist literacy, learning, and leisure; and ways to adjust settings to make using things easier, safer, and more effective
- Accessible home controls e.g. Mainstream and specialised solutions to enable people to perform functions such as change channels on the TV, manage lighting functions, operation of heating and cooling systems and other operations.
- Training: training sessions provided to therapists and families on how to set up and get the best out of your equipment such as speech generating devices, communication apps on an iPad, computer software, computer access and mounting systems. These can be one-off sessions or a series of ongoing training sessions.
- Support to implement assistive technology: individual support and mentoring provided to therapists in relation to how to implement speech generating devices, apps, computer software, computer access and mounting systems. These can be one-off sessions or a series of ongoing support sessions.
- Short-term hire equipment library: we can arrange a loan of equipment from our short-term library.
- Speech generating devices
- Peripherals such as switches, joysticks and mice
- Switch adapted toys
- Laptops and software
- Mounting and positioning equipment
Download: Communication Technology referral form (Word, 167kb) 366kb ComTEC-Service-Referral-Form.docx
Download: ComTEC Equipment Library Hire and Training Request Form (Word, 120KB) 127kb ComTEC-Equipment-Library-Hire-Request.docx
Send a ComTEC referral form
If you have difficulty using your speech to communicate, or if you are finding it hard to manage technology at home, school or work, and you would like to explore communication and assistive technology options, your Speech Pathologist or Occupational Therapist can request a ComTEC consultation, training and / or support session/s by completing the ComTEC referral form.
If you are a Speech Pathologist or Occupational Therapist and you would like to know more about how ComTEC can support you and your client/s, please visit our ComTEC support services page.
To speak to us in a language other than English please call us via the Telephone Interpreter Service on 13 14 50.
If you have a hearing or speech impairment, please contact us through the National Relay Service.