Positive Behaviour Support
Supporting high and complex needs with positive and proactive engagement.
Yooralla specialises in providing support to children and adults with disability who present with behaviour of concern.
By taking a human rights focus and building on an evidence-based approach, Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) focuses on increasing a person’s quality of life and decreasing the frequency and severity of their behaviour of concern.
Our specialist team of qualified and experienced practitioners takes a positive and proactive approach. Positive means increasing and strengthening helpful behaviour through learning and reinforcement, rather than using punishment or negative consequences to respond to someone. Proactive means anticipating where things may go wrong and preventing those things from happening, rather than just reacting when things go wrong.
As a consequence we see an improvement in relationships with family and friends.
Why choose Yooralla?
- Yooralla is a disability specialist. We provide high quality, evidence-based supports for people with high and complex needs.
- Our qualified team provides holistic supports and training to people with disability and their support networks.
- We have specialty skills in Autism Spectrum Disorder, dual diagnosis, functional communication, sensory processing and acquired brain injury.
- We have a demonstrated record in the reduction of restrictive interventions at both an individual and organisational level, with behaviour support plans evaluated as being high in quality by the Behaviour Support Plan Quality Evaluation tool (BSP_QEII).
- We provide services across all ages, stages and needs, to ensure the person with disability receives the services they need at the time and place they need them.
How we can help
Yooralla can work with the person presenting with behaviour of concern and their support network to:
- develop strategies that build on the person’s strengths and are based on developing positive relationships, communication and coping skills, and on addressing health, environmental and other impacting factors, and
- determine the reasons for a behaviour of concern and provide targeted strategies on how to support the person to decrease their reliance on that behaviour to have their needs met.
Download: Positive Behaviour Support factsheet (PDF, 579kb) 594kb Positive-Behaviour-Support-2pp-Web-290518.pdf
Download: Positive Behaviour Support factsheet (Word, 368kb) 378kb Positive_Behaviour_Support_Accessible-word-2018.docx
For more information on how Yooralla can assist you with Positive Behaviour Support, please contact us.
Phone: 03 9666 4500