On February 12, we celebrate 102 years of supporting people with disability and working towards creating a more inclusive society where all citizens are equal.
Our story began in 1918, when Sister Faith saw a young girl with disability inside a chicken coop while her parents were at work. On 12 February 1918, she opened Victoria’s first free kindergarten for children with disability, named Yooralla.
Since then, as an organisation we have evolved and developed to become one of the largest disability service providers in Victoria. Today we support more than 4,000 people with disability of all ages and needs, in their home and in the community, to live the lives they choose.
Here are some highlights of our customers’ achievements over the past year:
- Chris and Nick from Fawkner Community Hub met Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, as part of their royal tour. Read the story.
- DJ Josh achieved his NDIS goal and now hosts his own weekly radio program in Wangaratta. Read the story.
- After developing her catering and hospitality skills during Leongatha Community Hub’s Hospitality program, Lucy was offered a job at a local winery. Read the story.
- Yooralla’s catering team launched their online ordering platform to make it easier for people to order their delicious food.
- Clinton, a residential customer, travelled to Ballarat for a three day trip to attend a big family celebration. Read the story.
- Tim from Yooralla’s St Albans Community Hub won the 2019 Dulcie Stone Writers Competition for his submission titled ‘Getting to Know Me’. Read the story.
- As part of the Duke of Edinburgh Silver award, customers from Benalla embarked on a two-day adventure to Melbourne, where they visited Melbourne Aquarium and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Read the story.
- Customers from Yooralla’s Learning Hub had their photography exhibited at Melbourne City Library. Read the story.
We are looking forward to another year of supporting our customers to live the life they choose and to achieve what is important to them.
You can learn more about Yooralla’s services here.