Ventilator Accommodation Support Service
We offer specialist accommodation in Thornbury for people who require support with complex respiratory supports or mechanical ventilation. Located in Melbourne’s inner-north suburb of Thornbury, VASS provides comfortable accommodation with a focus on supporting individual lifestyle choices.
About the home
Building type: Group Home
Design Category: High Physical Support
Property owner: Homes Victoria
This purpose-built accommodation is the only ventilator assisted accommodation of its kind in Australia! The accommodation consists of three houses, each with five bedrooms. There is also a house for people requiring short-term accommodation (respite) on site.
- The site is fully accessible and designed for wheelchair access
- Shared living, dining, kitchen and laundry areas in each home
- Outdoor BBQ area to entertain in
- Raised garden area for residents to grow their own produce. Read more about our Food Forest project
- Each spacious bedroom has an ensuite, TV, free WiFi and heating and cooling
- There are vacant bedrooms that either share a bathroom or have their own individual bathroom/ensuite.
- The site is supported by an uninterruptible power supply, with medical-grade back-up generators that protect ventilator systems from power failures
- There are hoists in all bedrooms and bathrooms
- The site includes the latest in smart technology alarm systems enabling staff to promptly respond to residents’ needs.
Most of the residents enjoy going out together for group outings while others enjoy engaging with the community independently.
Highly skilled staff are on site 24-hours a day, including two Registered Nurses and a Nurse Educator to ensure staff are trained in latest ventilator supports. Within each house, there is a minimum staff to resident ratio of 1:2 during the day and an active overnight support model. An additional staff member is also on duty to provide support across all houses during the night.
Location and proximity to amenities
- The home is conveniently close to local shops, restaurants, allied health services and entertainment
- Darebin Creek trail and Narrandjeri Stadium is on your doorstep
- Close to sporting grounds, lawn bowls club and parks
- Less than 10-minutes drive to Thornbury train station
- 10-minutes drive to Austin Hospital, which specialises in supporting people with complex ventilation needs
- 30-minutes drive to Melbourne CBD.
Learn more about our Ventilator Accommodation Support Service
Located in Thornbury, Yooralla’s VASS features three long-term residential houses, and one house for people who require either planned or emergency short term accommodation (respite).