Alter State is a major disability arts festival celebrating contemporary art and live performance by artists from Australia and Aotearoa (NZ).
Alter State (12 September - 9 October) provides a platform for artists to tell stories informed by their own lived experience of disability. It is a deep dive into disability arts from our region, and a space to showcase its creative and cultural history.
Co-founded and presented by Arts Centre Melbourne and Arts Access Victoria, we invite you to:
- Explore Deaf and Disability led art from Australia and Aotearoa
- Enjoy works that engage audiences in new and exciting ways
- Be part of making space for kōrero and storytelling shaped by disability
Alter State was first imagined by independent artists who explored the possibilities for the festival to:
- Honour Deaf and Disabled artists
- Honour First Nations cultures
- Challenge ideas about disability
- Shape the future of art and performance
For program details visit https://www.artscentremelbourne.com.au/whats-on/alter-state
Alter State Digital
Arts Centre Melbourne and its festival partners are pleased to offer digital content alongside the live events in Alter State.
Some of the digital events will be livestreamed, like the Welcome to Country and Māori response, while other content will be available on demand including Movement of the Human’s show Meremere.
You can register your interest by clicking the link below.